In order to assign Office 365 licenses to users, an end user profile must be created for each Office 365 user. License consumption is managed in the MS Office portal (portal.office.com).
User profiles can be added one at a time or in bulk. Click the appropriate link below for the method you would like to use.
Creating end user profiles one at a time
2) Click on the Admin icon.
3) Click Add new users under the users and groups section.
4) Enter the new user’s account information. See the screenshot below for more information.
Note: you can assign a license to the user now, or you can create the user profile now and assign a license later. For step-by-step instructions on assigning a license later, see this article.
After you provide all of the required information and click Create, you will see a confirmation message like the one below, and the email recipients you specified will receive an email with the password.
Creating end user profiles in bulk
Creating multiple end user profiles in bulk using a CSV file can be an efficient method where many users need to be created at once. Follow the instructions below to create your end user profiles in bulk using this method.
2) Click on the Admin icon.
3) Click Assign user licenses under the users and groups heading.
4) Click on the bulk add icon.
5) Click Download a blank CSV file to download a template that you can fill in with your users’ details using a text editor such as Notepad. If you are unsure how to fill in the CSV template, click Download a sample CSV file to see an example of a completed file.
6) After creating a CSV file that contains all of your users’ details, click Browse to select your CSV file from the location where you saved it. Click Next to upload the file.
7) On the verification results screen, check for any errors in the CSV file. If there are errors, click on View to see the log file for an explanation of the errors. When you have corrected the errors in the CSV file, click Next.
8) Select the required sign-in status and user location, and then click Next. These selections apply to all users; settings for individual users can be edited later.
9) On the next screen, you can assign licenses to your users. The list shows how many of each license type you have available to assign. Licenses can also be assigned later.
10) Enter up to five email addresses as recipients for the new users’ passwords. The passwords are also displayed in the next step. After entering the email address, click Create.
The results page shown below confirms that your new users have been created. If you chose not to have the passwords sent to you by email, be sure to note the temporary passwords displayed.
If you did not assign licenses in step 9, see this article for instructions on assigning licenses to existing user profiles. For more information on managing users including editing and destroying profiles, see this article.