With just a username and password (of any active mailbox from the source system), SkyKick Discovery Site automatically and accurately identifies mailboxes and public folders.
Discovery generates a report that provides a comprehensive view of the source email environment. This report can be used to guide your purchases on the Ingram Micro Cloud Marketplace (CMP); so your Customer can experience a seamless migration to Office 365. Following are the steps for using Discovery.
Additionally, refer to ’Discovery’s Requirements, Quality, and Fidelity’) to learn about optimizing Discovery’s report and refer to ‘Interpreting the Discovery Report’ to learn how to interpret the report’s findings.
1) Navigate to SkyKick Migrate Discovery Site
2) Enter the Customer’s email address and password
Note: If you would like the report emailed, enter the recipient’s address in the Support Email field.
3) Click the Discover > button
4) Discovery begins its work
5) You can wait for the report to be ready and download it directly from the site or SkyKick will email the report to the individual whose email address was entered in the Support Email field
Interpreting the Discovery Report
Note: There is no charge for the backup or migration of Public Folders or Shared Mailboxes in the O365 + SkyKick Bundle.
1) Based on the report, in the screenshot, you should purchase 25 licenses for the following products:
25 = Individual Mailboxes + Shared Mailboxes + Public Folders
2) Based on the report, in the screenshot, you should purchase 20 licenses for the following product:
20 = Individual Mailboxes
Discovery’s Requirements, Quality, and Fidelity
Discovery will examine the source server to ascertain the highest fidelity access protocol and endpoint. The protocols that Discovery examines are shown below with varying levels of quality/fidelity.
Discovery Services uses advanced logic to discover user lists on POP3 or IMAP servers since these servers do not have a unified list of organizational contacts like Exchange or Google Apps for Business.
Note: If the MX record is not pointed directly to the source due to a SPAM filter, discovery may be incomplete. Please check the Discovered Settings box on the Migration Source page to verify the accuracy of the Email Provider discovered.
Ensuring Most Robust Discovery with POP3 and IMAP Servers
Discovery Services searches across the headers of emails on the server to find all mailboxes. There are two ways you can increase the effectiveness of the discovery of mailboxes to limit the amount of manual work required.
Option 1: Enter the credentials of a heavily populated mailbox for the discovery process
Option 2: If you would prefer to create a new email on the migration domain to be used for discovery, complete the following steps before entering the new email username and password into the Migration Planner.
- Create the new mailbox that will be used for discovery
- Create a draft email in that mailbox to all of the migrating users
- Save that email as a draft
- Proceed to SkyKick Migrate Discovery Site
Precautions to Observe for Exchange Servers EWS (Exchange 2007+)
Most servers have their highest available protocol enabled by default. In some instances, however the endpoint may be disabled or not configured correctly.
Note: Mailboxes that are hidden from the Global Address List (GAL) will not be uncovered by Discovery Services.
For more information, see the following Microsoft Documentation: