Endpoint Protection (SEP) – Starter Guide
- i) Resellers must have an active Symantec Partner ID in order to purchase a Symantec subscription (refer to ‘How to: Create and/or Activate Your Symantec Partner ID’ for detailed instructions for obtaining a Symantec Partner ID).
- ii) Ensure that the individual whose information will be provided at the time of purchasing SEP does not have special or numerical characters in the first name; last name or company name (otherwise the SEP subscription will not provision).
iii) The individual whose information was provided at the time of purchase is automatically assigned the role of Account Administrator.
The SEP subscription is located under CLOUD SERVICES > SECURITY.
As you go through the purchase process for SEP in the CMP note the following:
The Symantec Partner ID it will be displayed in the CMP during the checkout process but if you need to confirm that you have a Symantec Partner ID before beginning the purchase process you can find it in your Reseller Control Panel (RCP) RCP > Operations > Services > MySEP Cloud. For detailed instructions on creating and activating a Symantec Partner ID, refer to ‘How to: Create and/or Activate Your Symantec Partner ID’.
After purchasing SEP, Account Administrators must activate the subscription by creating an account on the Symantec Customer Portal.
Customer Control Panel
When a SEP subscription has been successfully provisioned, you can see a summary of the SEP subscription in the Customer Control Panel (CCP). The following screenshot shows the information displayed and the functions that can be performed from the CCP:
1) Account Administrator’s email ID
2) Types of licenses and the number of assigned and unassigned licenses.
Note: The first encryption management and server protect add-ons are automatically assigned to the Account Administrator.
3) Access the Account Administrator’s SEP Account on the Symantec Customer Portal.
After a SEP subscription has been successfully provisioned the Account Administrator will receive a welcome email from Symantec that contains the link to create an account on the Symantec Customer Portal.
Once the SEP account has been activated the Account Administrator can Assign Licenses To Users Through SEP Cloud Portal. Users assigned a license will receive welcome emails, similar to those received by the Account Administrator (refer to ‘How to: Create Symantec Customer Portal Account (Users)’ for detailed instructions on activating the Symantec Customer Portal). All Users must activate their Symantec Customer Portal accounts.
IMPORTANT! Account Administrators will need to track Users’ passwords (a password management software is recommended). Account Administrators require the old password in order to reset Users’ passwords.
Setting group policy; enrolling devices; etc. are all done from the Symantec Customer Portal.
For comprehensive help on SEP refer to the following:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud Technical Support (KBs, guides, downloads and other support resources): https://support.symantec.com/en_US/endpoint-protection-cloud.html;
- Within the Symantec Customer Portal you can click on the help icon () to get context sensitive help.
Following is a comprehensive list of all articles related to managing SEP from the CCP:
- How to: Purchase SEP through the In-panel Marketplace
- How to: Create Symantec Customer Portal Account (Account Administrator)
- How to: Access the Symantec Customer Portal from the Customer Control Panel (Account Administrator)
- How to: Create Symantec Customer Portal Account (Users)
- How to: Modify SEP Resources
- How to: Add / Remove Users