Connecting to a Mailbox in Outlook 2010 via POP3
End users can connect with their mailboxes using many mail clients via POP3 or IMAP. This article explains how to connect to a mailbox using Outlook 2010 via POP3.
1) In the File tab, select Info, and then click Account Settings. The Account Settings window will be displayed.
2) The Email tab is selected by default and shows e-mail accounts that are already set up (if there are any). Click New... to start the Add New Email Account wizard.
3) In the Choose Service dialogue box, select Email Account and click Next.
4) Select the Manually configure server settings or additional server types checkbox at the bottom of the Wizard screen, and then click Next. You are prompted to Choose E-mail Service.
5) On the next screen, select Internet E-mail, and then click Next.
6) The Internet E-mail Settings window is displayed. Enter the Exchange Server configuration parameters in the appropriate fields. For help finding your configuration parameters, see this article.
7) Click More Settings. The multi-tabbed window will be displayed.
8) Move to the Outgoing Server tab, and then select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication checkbox. Then click Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
9) Move to the Advanced tab. Advanced properties of your e-mail account are displayed. Configure them as follows:
- In the drop-down menu located below the Incoming server (POP3) field, select SSL.
- In the drop-down menu located below the Outgoing server (SMTP) field, select TLS.
NOTE: Port 25 (Outgoing Server) is selected by default. Some service providers block this outgoing port. If the configuration test fails or you have trouble sending outgoing mail via this port, try changing it to 465 or 587.
10) Click OK to save your changes.
11) Click Test Account Settings to check that your account is working. If there is missing or incorrect information, such as your password, you are prompted to supply it or correct it.
12) After receiving Congratulations! All tests completed successfully, click Close
13) Click Next, and then click Finish.
After following the above steps, you have configured Outlook 2010 to connect with your mailbox via POP3.