In order to assign Office 365 licenses to users, an end user profile must be created for each Office 365 user. License consumption is managed in the MS Office portal (portal.office.com).
User profiles can be added one at a time or in bulk. Click the appropriate link below for the method you would like to use.
1. Creating end user profiles one at a time
2. Creating end user profiles in bulk (CSV file)
Note – The instructions below assume that the subscriptions for Office 365 have already been purchased, or that seats have been added to an existing subscription.
Creating end user profiles one at a time
1. Log in to the MS Office 365 administrator portal at portal.office.com. Your customer’s login credentials are found in the Customer Control Panel; see this article for instructions on finding them.
2. Click on the Admin icon.
3. Click Add user under the ‘User management’ section:
4. Enter the new user’s account information. See the screenshot below for more information.
Note – You can assign a license to the user now, or you can create the new user profile now and assign a license later. For step-by-step instructions on assigning a license later, see this article.
5. After you provide all of the required information and click Next, you will see a page to assign license(s). Mark the desired one(s) & click on Next:
6. Click on ‘Next’, review the ‘Optional Settings’ & you will now land on the ‘Finish’ page. Click on ‘Finish editing’ to complete the process:
7. The process is now complete:
Creating end user profiles in bulk
Creating multiple end user profiles in bulk using a CSV file can be an efficient method where many users need to be created at once. Follow the instructions below to create your end user profiles in bulk using this method.
1. Log in to the MS Office 365 administrator portal at portal.office.com. Your customer’s login credentials are found in the Customer Control Panel; see this article for instructions to find them.
2. Click on the Admin icon.
3. Click Users -> Active users -> Add multiple users
4. Click Download a CSV file with headers only to download a template that you can fill in with your users’ details. If you are unsure about how to do this, download a sample from the link available beneath this one.
5. After creating a CSV file that contains all of your users’ details, click Browse to select your CSV file from the location where you saved it. Click Next to upload the file.
6. Select the required sign-in status and user location, and then click Next. These selections apply to all users; settings for individual users can be edited later.
7. On the same screen, you can assign licenses to your users . The list shows how many of each license type you have available to assign. Licenses can also be assigned later. Once you have made the selections, click on Next .
8. The passwords can also be downloaded or sent to email addresses from this screen. After entering the email address(es), click Send & close.
If you did not assign licenses in step 8, see this article for instructions on assigning licenses to existing user profiles. For more information on managing users including editing and destroying profiles, see this article.
Note - If you choose to send these files by email, the passwords will be sent in plain text.