In most cases, you will be using a database along with a dynamic web page language to create and manage your website. Your website data is stored within the database so that it can be easily accessed by web pages and viewed by your website users. The instructions below walk you through the steps involved in database creation and management using Plesk Panel, including:
DATABASE TYPES AVAILABLE IN PLESK
MySQL databases can be created on Linux and Windows servers within the Plesk Panel. In addition, MS SQL databases are available on Windows VMs, and Postgre SQL databases are available on Linux VPS’s.
If you wish to use MS SQL databases (Windows) or PostGRE (Linux), you will need to add the Parallels PowerPack for Plesk license upgrade.
phpMyAdmin, supplied along with Plesk, allows you to manage MySQL databases. ASP.NET Enterprise Manager is supplied to allow you to view and manage MS SQL databases.
CREATING A DATABASE
1) Log in to Plesk Panel and navigate to the Websites & Domains tab.
· This tab is visible in Power User view. To navigate here in Service Provider view, click on Domains in the left-hand menu, then click Control Panel next to the domain for which an FTP user has to be created:
2) Click on Databases. If you have already created databases, you can also manage them here.
3) Select Add New Database to start the database creation wizard.
4) In the wizard, enter the following details:
- Database name: Enter a name for the database you are creating.
- Click on the drop-down menu to select which database type you want to create.
Note: If you need to create a MS SQL or PostGRE database, you will need to add the Parallels PowerPack for Plesk.
- Select the database user/s that will have access to the new database OR check Create a new user and enter the username and password.
5) Click OK to finish the process.
CREATING A DATABASE USER
Once you have created one or more databases, you may need to create extra users to manage the database content. Follow these steps to create new database users.
1) From the database management screen, navigate to the Users tab. (See steps 1-4 in creating a database if you need help to find this screen.)
You will see a list of your existing database users.
2) Click Add New Database User.
3) Enter the following details to create your database user:
· Database user name: This username will be used to gain access to your database.
· New password and Confirm password: Provide a secure password that the user will use to log in.
· Database: select the database that the user should have access to.
· Database server: select the server corresponding to the database type.
4) Click OK to complete creation of the database user.
LOGGING IN TO THE DATABASE
1) Back on the Databases tab, click the Webadmin icon next to the name of the database you need to log in to.
The phpMyAdmin interface opens up in a separate tab or window.
2) The database management tools allow you to operate database user accounts and execute SQL queries through the web browser.
Now you have successfully created a database and an associated database user. Using these steps you can create more databases for your site, as required.